Because most individuals do, once I began using Linux, I created separate partitions for Linux and utilized Lilo or Grub to boot into either Windows or Linux, according to the different project requirements.
I normally utilized my notebook PC through the afternoon in a business that used Windows software in a Windows-based LAN and I normally needed to boot Windows through the afternoon to use my coworkers whereas at home I’d boot into Linux. This strategy has a couple of drawbacks as follows:
- My perform e-mails have been in Microsoft Outlook and that I needed to boot up under Windows to get them.
- I used KMail (and afterwards Mozilla Thunderbird) for my personal e-mails and that I needed to boot up under Linux to get them.
- I can get Window folders out of Linux and replicate information from Windows, but I couldn’t get any Linux directory out of Windows.
I decided that there ought to have been a much better approach to utilize my PC and I looked for a remedy that will enable me to get both Linux and Windows programs without rebooting.
I researched a number of the available products. I discovered that the wine or CodeWeavers Crossover supported most ordinary Windows programs, but a few other ones wouldn’t operate. VMWare looked intriguing, but I chose to use until lately Win4Lin (initially developed by Netraverse to support only Windows 95, 98 or ME and after updated by Virtual Bridges to encourage Windows 2000 and Windows XP) but that product is no more updated and supported,
I needed to get a replacement and eventually decided to set up Virtual Box, a virtualization platform initially developed by Sun MicroSystems and afterwards endorsed by Oracle, following its purchase of Sun.
Some Excellent advantages I discovered in Virtual Box would be the following:
- VirtualBox 3 is a desktop virtual server program working with a”Type 2″ hypervisor which demands a compatible server operating system (Linux, Windows, Macintosh, or OpenSolaris) and computer hardware according to x86 or AMD64/Intel64 to operate
- The setup of Virtual Box is fairly straightforward, however, there are several problems that I will explain later.
- It is simple to set up a variety of operating systems and the functionality is really great. You can read a list of the supported Operating Systems in virtualbox.org/
- Developing a VM is quick and simple, because of some VM creation wizard which takes you step-by-step by making your guest VM.
Installing Virtual Box
Virtual Box could be downloaded in virtualbox.org, but I didn’t need to download it as the program is contained along with my Linux distribution (OpenSuSE 11.3).
You’ll discover lots of documentation on the theVirtualBox.org Technical Documentation page.
The setup is really simple, but you have to be sure to manually add the users that will access Virtual Box into the specific user group vboxusers. This can readily be carried out in OpenSuse using the security and consumers choice of East.
Utilizing Windows under Virtual Box
I set up under Virtual Box just Windows XP as my chief purpose was to make an integrated Desktop environment where I can readily gain access to both Linux and Windows programs
1 significant requirement for a fantastic integration would be to get the chance to get from Windows and Linux directories since this permits to transfer of information between the two environments.
Unfortunately, this isn’t really straightforward to attain. Virtual Box lets to announce Shared Folders that could be retrieved from the Linux (host operating system) and Windows (guest operating systems). I announced my Linux home directory as a shared folder, but once I began Windows the shared folder wasn’t observable in the explorer. This problem and its solution is going to be better clarified on a different point.
The primary Benefits of installing Windows under a virtual box would be the following:
- The Virtual Box Windows setup is definitely better integrated with Linux compared to a native Windows setup and you’ll have at your disposal the power of Linux along with Windows software with no requirement to reboot.
- Windows under Virtual Box provides increased virus security compared to a standalone Windows setup. It is possible to easily store your Windows directory as a tar archive and several viruses will have no impact
- there’s no Windows boot industry and so boot sector or alternative boot period viruses are inefficient.
- Virtual Box installs Windows files in subdirectories of this server Linux filesystem and so FAT32 or VFAT associated viruses are inefficient.
- Executable files and macro viruses may still strike, but won’t influence the Linux system if you don’t move to the server filesystem an infected document. To reduce the dangers, you might choose to declare a directory as a shared folder when required
Virtual box Limitations and Peculiarities
Digital box doesn’t support copy and paste between the Linux and Windows environments.
When you click on the mouse at the Windows display, the program captures the mouse in Windows and it won’t go outside the Windows display. To utilize the mouse out, you want to press a key to n-capture it.