What is Solarize Orange County?
Solarize Orange County is a grassroots initiative that makes solar simple and affordable for the people of Orange County.
- We partner with local solar businesses for group discounts and affordable financing. We pass those savings on to you and your community.
- And, we help you optimize your tax incentives and maximize your electricity bill savings.
- We've taken the guess work out of finding a solar installer. Our installer partners, Southern Energy Management and Yes! Solar Solutions, were selected after rigorous review by solar experts and local community leaders.
- Best of all, we connect you with neighborhood volunteers and solar experts to guide you each step of the way.
How does it work?
Step 1: Free home solar assessment
- When you sign up, we'll schedule you for a free home solar assessment. There is no commitment here, just a straightforward assessment of your solar options.
- Your assessment will be conducted by our Solarize Orange County installers -- either Southern Energy Management or Yes! Solar Solutions. These companies have been vetted by a rigorous proposal process and reviewed by local experts.
- What if your assessment suggests solar isn't suitable for your home? What if you are a renter? You can still put your tax credits to work by joining a community solar project to put panels on a public site.
Step 2: Maximize your savings
- Your solar assessment will provide options custom fit to your home site, electricity demands, and financing needs. We've streamlined the process so the installer will set up your system, obtain the necessary permits, and coordinate the interconnection with your electric utility.
- With the Solarize Orange County negotiated price, you can be confident that you are getting a great value. Here is an example for a typical 5 kW home installation:
Average retail price $ 21,250 Solarize Orange County $ 19,100 35% NC tax credit $ 6,685 Est. Federal tax credit $ 4,058 Net cost $ 8,357
- Solarize Orange County has tiered pricing. When more people in Orange County go solar, everyone's cost goes down even more. Here are the discounts for the 5 kW example.
When Solarize installations exceed... The discount from the Tier 1 Solarize price for a typical 5 kW home installation is... Tier 2:
$ 450 Tier 3:
$ 750 Tier 4:
- Your discount will depend on the size of your system. Details here.
- The next step is to get 200 kW contracted to activate the next tier:
152 kW CONTRACTED
48 kW NEEDED TO REACH NEXT TIER
- And you don't have to wait for the lowest price. You will not be billed for the final 10% of the cost until the lowest price is set at the end of the program.
- Finally, make sure you take advantage of valuable state and federal tax credits that could save up to 65%. We'll send you a reminder during tax season.
- Have any questions? Our local experts and neighborhood volunteers are here to help. Just send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or post to our forum.
Step 3: Enjoy the benefits of solar
- Spend less money on electricity. Spend more money on the things you love.
- It's that simple.
- But there's more than just the dollars and cents. Fossil fuels pollute our air, poison our drinking water, and give rise to climate change. When your home goes solar, your energy is local, independent, and safe for us and future generations.